Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Be There

I started writing about a different topic this week but as Isabel’s 2nd birthday started creeping up, it was the only thing I could think about. When she turned 1, I couldn’t believe how fast the year had gone by but I was too busy to think about it. I was planning her birthday, getting her 1 year pics taken, and changing her eating schedule from 6 bottles a day to actual meals with big girl food, plus a few bottles in between.


(photo credit - Avi Paiz Photography)


This year as her birthday creeps up, I’m not too busy to feel all the feels that a year has passed by in what feels like a minute. As she reads a book in the living room by herself or goes to bed on her own, I have all the time in the world to think about it. And thinking about it makes me want to cry my eyes out because time this year just passed by SO FAST. She makes me want to slow down time and take it all in.


So I will try the best I can to slow down time. I will sit and play with her more often. I will give her a morning of my full attention. I will cuddle with her on the couch as we watch Daniel Tiger together. (Seriously, before kids, I thought "those moms" that watch TV with their kids were so weird... and now I am one of them)


But when time still passes by, just as fast, I will need to tell my brain to “knock it off”. I don’t want to be sad. My daughter is learning and growing so fast and I would never want her to stop learning or growing. When those thoughts creep back in, I am going to tell myself, “Be there”. All I can do is try to me more present when I am around her. I’m not going to beat myself up about needing to pick up the house when she is there or about having a night out with friends. My mind is a powerful tool and sometimes I need to come up with my own little “mantra” to make sure that I am using it for good.


So I guess this weeks blog post is a reminder to me. To “be there” and to tell myself to “be there”. I can’t promise I won’t cry once or twice when this little one turns 2 but that’s okay too.

Look at this almost 2 year old...


By the way, Isabel’s 2nd birthday party theme is farm animals! Stay tuned to see pics of the big day. I should make my husband wear overalls with a cowboy hat right?

No comments:

Post a Comment